About the Feature Suggestions category

Have an idea that would make Comic Vision better? Share it here. New features, small tweaks, wild ideas — all welcome.

Before posting: browse existing suggestions and add your support (:heart:) to ones you’d like to see. Avoiding duplicates helps everyone.

When you post: the category has a template that asks what the feature is and why it’d be useful — the more context, the better the chance it ships.

Hi, I’ve been enjoying the app and thus far it’s vastly superior to the other free options out there, you’re killing it!!

I have two requests/suggestions you might want to consider. The first is kinda technical, idk if this is in your wheel house, but I’d love to see OPDS support. I use Komga to host a local server with all of my manga and books, and this makes it a breeze to minimize having to transfer files, and keeps local file storage to a minimum. Space on my 256GB headset is at a premium between all the other forms of content, and would fill up fast with maxed-out high res scans of my manga library. If you’re not sure where to start I know Panels has this implemented, you could take a look at their approach!

The other request is Vision-Pro-platform-focused and way more interesting lol, although I’m not sure what the ideal solution is. I think the ability to scroll with your eyes is a great feature, and maybe it could even be this app’s “killer feature” if executed to a high degree, especially with comics and manga where pages go by quickly. It solves the wrist fatigue of flicking each page, and removes the intermediary step of tapping your fingers while looking at the arrows. Product market fit is basically “hands-free book” haha. But to get there I think the implementation of eye-scrolling could do with some polish (also, I could only get this feature to work with the vertical orientation, although maybe that’s user error and I prefer vertical anyway). What I observed in vertical is if I’m scrolling with my eyes I’m basically just looking at AND reading at the bottom of the screen at the same time, which doesn’t jive well with appreciating art. I think one option could be allowing the user to adjust the placement of the “scroll hit box”, as well as how tall that hit box is, and maybe adjustable or scaling sensitivity. I’m imagining the ideal reading session is one that’s hands-free, feels natural, and can support long reading sessions, so minimizing eye fatigue, and also consistently “correctly” assessing user intent with their gaze would be the challenge.

Anyway, been loving the app and it’s an absolute joy to read on the AVP. I hope this gives you some food for thought, keep up the excellent work!!

Hey @whatthebaek ! Sorry for not replying earlier, I hadn’t shared the app online yet so I wasn’t expecting any activity here yet :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much for your comment! Means a lot that someone is appreciating what I built :slightly_smiling_face:

I was planning to share that on my social media post but right now I have a 3 step roadmap that to me is the most important for the app to feel feature complete:

  • Search and filters
  • List creation (smart list and manual lists)
  • Full OPDS support (Both ODPS v1.x and v2.0)

They kind of all build on top of each other as I’m imagining the OPDS to be a third party source list.

If there’s demand for it I could also implement direct connection with Komga and/or Kavita APIs, while implementing the OPDS support I also built all the basics to “easily” implement any streaming sources.

I also might actually like to build my own self hosted plex like server too, but that’s out of scope for the moment.

This roadmap is already far ahead and I might share a testflight link here this week after the official social media post!

For the hands free features, at first it was just a little touch that I didn’t think I’d use much, but I started re-reading hunter x hunter last week and been loving it more than I thought!

For horizontal/book reading mode, the look to scroll actually adds transparent arrows on the left and right side of the pages, but it might not have been obvious before, the arrows were on the outside of the window, but if your pages were smaller than the window, the arrows could be pretty far out. I released an update this week that improves the placement, they are now right next to the pages. You look at them for a few seconds until it fully charge up (there’s a progress circle around the button) and then it changes page.

In the background the look to scroll actually just uses the native VisionOS look to scroll. There isn’t really any way to detect where the user is looking, Apple is pretty strict about that, even hover effect cannot be detected to trigger other actions. The charge up mode for turning page actually uses an invisible scrollable box (invisible but still physically there) and a button (visible but not physically there so the visionOS detects you’re looking behind it) is placed where the look to scroll would trigger on the scroll box. The charge up is measuring the scroll position of the invisible scrollbox and when you reach the end it triggers a page turn and resets the scroll to 0.

So there isn’t a lot that can be adjusted since it’s the native look to scroll, but maybe a charge up mode like in horizontal mode would be closer to what you’re looking for!

All good @tommypepsi hahaha, glad to hear from you and about your progress and plans!! It’s v exciting to know things are already underway, you’ve got an awesome foundation and I’m stoked to see things flourish :slight_smile: I’m doing my part having told the… two… other people I know who have AVPs about Comic Vision :joy:

Thanks for the advice n insights regarding how the eye-scrolling actually works, that makes a ton of sense and I’ll def be giving the horizontal mode a second shot!

And that’s too funny that you mentioned HxH, I’m currently working on a hardware startup of my own and watching n reading HxH for the first time a couple years back served as the inspirational fuel to really give it a shot and pursue my dreams. Since then my wallpaper’s the panel of younger Netero sitting cross-legged in the field, birds on his arms, having achieved his 10K gratitude punches in an hour :man_in_lotus_position: Figures an app like this would be made by a fellow Hunter!

You’re doing awesome work, and I’m looking forward to reading many, many pages with CV. Keep it up, you got this, mada mada, tatakae, ganbatte!!!

1 Like