OPDS streaming woes

What happened?

When streaming from OPDS, issues are shown wrong:

  1. Reading is always right-to-left.
  2. Front page is shown as a two-up with the second page.

E. g. I’ve got left-to-right order set up to read some American comics, thus the difference is very noticeable.

What did you expect to happen?

Respecting my preferences of left-to-right reading, one-up front page. It actually works when using download mode instead of streaming.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Set up CV to use LTR reading order.

  2. Set up an OPDS catalog. Make sure to use streaming instead of downloading.

  3. Open up a comic.

  4. See it shown in RTL.

Device & app version

  • Vision Pro / visionOS version: 27 dev beta 3 (24M5316k)
    • Comic Vision version: 1.1.0 (latest)

Not sure I should make another bug report, but OPDS always streams 20 issues per page. Do we even need paged view? Even when yes, I’d replace it with a continuous self-updating collection, so there’s no pages mention in the interface.

Hey @vopash! Thanks for reporting the issue, my library is mainly manga so I probably missed that :sweat_smile: I’ll try to take a look at it quickly!

For the OPDS list pagination, that’s a little quirk of OPDS v2. Because it uses groups (items are separated into sections), having a continuous load might add comics to a group that’s higher so it’s hard to see. OPDS v1 uses a load more instead since it doesn’t use groups like that (not automatic yet, but should be simple to implement).

Not sure which OPDS server you’re using but the items per page is decided by the server. It seems like Komga is forcing it to 20.

@vopash Just submitted an update for review. It seems I forgot to remove some test settings I put in the code.

The update also adds reading options at the third party list settings level.

So the new priority for reading options is: Comic reading option → list reading option → global reading options.

The update would automatically convert your list to use your global reading options so after the update it should read as expected! If you want to change the reading options of a specific third party list, you can long press on the list name and click on edit.

Apple usually takes between a few hours to about 24 hours to approve and release. So if all goes well it should be live tomorrow!

1 Like

Yeah, you guessed right, I’m using OPDS v2.

I think it should be possible to load further pages automatically? I mean, OPDS might return only paginated data, but it isn’t necessary to follow the same pattern in the interface, unless the client is rate-limited. E. g. we’ve hit the bottom → load next page, present it to the user.

And thank you so much for speedy fix on the original issue!

P. S. I’m the same person as u/photovirus on Reddit. :sweat_smile:

Oh! Nice to see you here! :smile:

I had the “hit the bottom → load next” mechanism at first, but because of the sections in OPDS v2, it might load items for a section that is above the fold so you wouldn’t notice that new items loaded.

Though, maybe I could simply pre fetch a page or 2 ahead to know which sections have more items so that automatically when we get to the end of a section with more items I load them and prefetch the next page again. So instead of load more when you hit the bottom, it becomes load more when you’re at the end of a section with more items in the following pages.

I’ll try to look into this next week :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@vopash seems that Apple was quick today, the fix for the reading direction is already live on the App Store!

1 Like